The Ballerina Bowl
⏱️ 20-30 MINS PREPERATION
🍴 SERVES: 2 BALLERINAS
These bowls are the simplest, most satisfying way to ensure your body’s nutritional requirements are met during a busy day at work or training! I recommend making large batches (double the quantities in this recipe) of roasted pumpkin, cooked quinoa and chickpeas to make this super quick to assemble for lunches. If you incorporate animal protein, feel free to add some steamed organic grass-fed chicken, roast beef or salmon alongside or in place of the chickpeas.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- ¼ pumpkin, cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 400g can of drained and rinsed chickpeas
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bag of spinach or rocket
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Start by preheating the oven to 180degrees Celsius.
- Place pumpkin cubes and sliced red onion in a baking dish, and toss through a generous glug of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together chickpeas, tomato, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, cinnamon, paprika, ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly onto a baking tray.
- Place both pumpkin and chickpea dishes into the oven at the same time, cooking for 30-40 minutes until golden and caramelised, stirring occasionally.
- Whilst the vegetables are in the oven, cook the quinoa simply by rinsing quinoa in a strainer under water (this helps to reduce bitterness), adding it to a pot with 1 cup of water, and a generous pinch of sea salt. Bring to the boil, then reducing heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes or until water has absorbed. Fluff it up with a fork.
- Lastly, assemble each bowl with quinoa, roast pumpkin, chickpeas and a large handful of spinach or rocket
Recipe by JENNA CARROLL | TLB team Naturopath
@healthalchemist | www.healthalchemist.com.au
//= get_the_date('c') ?>//= get_the_date() ?>